1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans (haricorts verts—the long and skinny guys)
Cream of Mushroom
4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (or a mix of olive oil and butter)
1/2 c. sweet onions, finely diced
2/3 c. cremini mushrooms, washed and finely diced
3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
freshly cracked pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. broth or stock
1 c. heavy cream
1 slice hearty wheat bread (optional)
2/3 c. fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F degrees.
- In a large pot, add green beans and water. Cook for about 20 minutes. To add additional flavor to the green beans, use equal parts broth and water and season with salt.
- While the green beans cook, heat butter (or combination of butter and oil) over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan until melted. Add in onions and mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes. Season with about 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and freshly cracked pepper. Add in the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds more.
- Stir in thyme and flour until the mushroom mixture is evenly coated.
- Whisk in the broth, heavy cream, and remaining salt. Stir continually for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and season more if necessary.
- Drain green beans. Add to a 8″x10″ pan and stir in cream sauce until evenly incorporated.
- Make topping. Use a food processor to turn bread into crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the casserole. Top with fried onions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve.
• Cream of mushroom and green beans can be made 1-2 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a couple days.
• I buy my fried onions from Trader Joe’s.
- Serving Size: 6-8 servings