- 1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans (haricorts verts—the long and skinny guys)
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 c. sweet onions, diced
- 2/3 c. cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly cracked salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/4 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c. broth or stock
- 1 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 slice hearty wheat bread
- 2/3 c. fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot, add green beans and water. Cook for about 20 minutes. To add additional flavor to the green beans, use equal parts broth and water and season with salt.
- While the green beans cook, heat butter over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan until melted. Add in onions, mushrooms, and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes. Season with freshly cracked salt and pepper.
- Stir in thyme and flour until evenly coated.
- Add in broth and heavy cream. Stir continually for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and season more if necessary.
- Drain green beans. Add to a 8″x10″ pan and stir in cream sauce until evenly incorporated.
- Make topping. Use a food processor to turn bread into crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the casserole. Top with fried onions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve.
• Cream sauce and green beans can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a couple days.
• I buy my fried onions from Trader Joe’s.
- Serving Size: 6-8 servings