I’m not a huge donut fan, but give me a cake donut, or even better a baked cake donut, and I’m suddenly a major fan. The actual donut isn’t all that sweet in this recipe. You can add an extra tablespoon of sugar if you must. Plenty of sweetness is added as you glaze. Depending on your definition, this chocolate baked donut lands on the healthier side, sweetened partially with honey and the flour supplemented with a bit of wheat.
- 1/3 c. + 1 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp. milk
- dash of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together milk and vinegar. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes to curdle. Melt butter in a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sift together flours, cocoa, baking soda, sea salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Into the cooled butter, whisk in sugar, honey, and egg until evenly combined. Add in curdled milk. [Side note, dip honey measuring utensil in the melted butter first for easy honey removal.]
- Whisk together wet and dry ingredients until just combined. Over-mixing will create a dense donut.
- Spray donut pan. Add batter to a piping bag and pipe evenly into the pan (about 2/3 full). You will have a little extra batter. Make a couple donut holes or mini donuts.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Allow to cool 1 minute before turning pan over to remove donuts onto a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make glaze. In a flat-bottomed bowl, whisk together half and half and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Once donuts have cooled completely, about 15-20 minutes, dunk in glaze, flipping to cover the entire donut. Place on cooling rack (with something underneath to catch the drippings) and allow to dry, about 30 minutes. Serve. (If you have extra glaze, I sometimes give it a double dunk, allowing dry time between each.) Best served same day. If storing leftovers, remove from cooling rack and store uncovered.