- 2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 c. white whole wheat flour
- 4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter, cold
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. whole milk + 1 tablespoon
- Egg Wash
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in cold butter with a pastry knife, until pea-sized. In a small bowl, mix together egg and milk. Pour into dry mixture. Stir together with a pastry fork until mixture comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured counter. Gently fold over several times to develop layers. Press down until about 1.25″ thick. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits, being sure to cut straight down with a sharp edge, and place on a Silpat or parchment lined pan. Brush biscuit tops with egg wash.
- Bake for about 12-18 minutes or until deep golden. Serve warm.
• To reheat, place in a 350° oven (while preheating) for 8 minutes. Microwaving may be quicker, but it toughens the texture.
• Be sure to use whole milk. Biscuits need fat for a tender texture.