Kev’s Kale Protein Smoothie is one of the best protein smoothies to hit my mouth. It’s packed with (mostly) plant protein (38g), low on sugar (13g), and surprisingly filling. Perfect as a single serving breakfast or an afternoon snack for 2. See below for a chocolate variation.
- 1 c. unsweetened plant milk (Kev buys Califia Coconut Almond Milk)
- 2 tbsp. plain whole milk yogurt, optional (We buy Stonyfield)
- 1 1/2 scoops (1/3 c.) vanilla plant protein (Kev buys Garden of Life Sport)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tbsp. ground flax (Kev buys Carrington Farms)
- 1/2 scoop (1 1/2 tbsp.) collagen peptides (Kev buys Garden of Life)
- 1/2 (1g) pitted medjool date
- 2/3 c. chopped kale
- 1/3 ripe medium banana
- 1 c. ice
- Add all ingredients into a high powered blender in the order listed, beginning with the milk and ending with the ice.
- Blend on medium-high until the ice is thoroughly broken down, then blend on high until the smooth, about 1 minute total. The smoothie is the perfect consistency when it burps at the end of the blend. See notes of more troubleshooting. Serve.
• How do you know when you have the perfect smoothie consistency? It burps at the end of the blend. If your smoothie is bubbly on the surface, add more ice to thicken. Too thick to blend? Add more milk. Note: Different shapes and sizes of ice will blend to create different consistencies. Adjust as needed. However, adding more ice at the end of the blend can create a watered-down, overly icy smoothie. Take notes and adjust next time.
• Here’s our favorite compostable smoothie straws.
• To make vegan, omit or swap the yogurt with a dairy-free option and omit the collagen.
• For additional protein, swap plain yogurt for Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is strained yogurt, therefore more concentrated in protein and texture. It’s also lower in sugar and carbs and whey, but who’s counting? Kev is.