Dessert is an afterthought for us during winter. By afterthought I mean—we think about it once it’s too late to make anything. It’s never forgotten. We usually ditch our always-at-the-ready ice cream until the weather warms, unless Talenti is on sale. In that case, we just turn up the heat. Lately though, I’ve been filling my little ice cream bowl with granola and dark chocolate chunks just before bed. I know something’s good when Kev follows suit. (He’s been following suit).
With Christmas in the air and varieties of bark on store shelves, I decided to turn this pantry dessert into its own variety. It’s easy, healthy, and you probably have everything on hand. But in case you don’t, head to Target because allll the ingredients are on sale when you use Cartwheel (more on that below). Pssst: Kev said Talenti is on sale too. Our freezer may or may not be full.
A couple things you may not know about me. #1 I’m just like every other woman out there. I LOVE Target (with a passion). #2 I HATE to buy anything full price. (I also hate to cut coupons. I’m much too unorganized for this money saving technique.) This love/hate relationship has now been resolved with Target’s Cartwheel app, my newest obsession.
Here’s how it works:
1. Download the app.
2. Create an account.
3. Scroll through offers and/or scan products you already buy from Target.
4. Add offers one at a time to your “Cartwheel” list. (You’ll get 10 spots when you begin, and can earn more, like the first time you use Cartwheel at the store.)
5. Go to Target and pick up the things on your list, then show the cashier your digital barcode at the checkout.
6. With one scan, all your savings come off your bill. Easy as that.
Saving money never tasted (or looked) so good.
- Simply Balanced Chocolate
- Simply Balanced Dried Fruit
- Simply Balanced Granola or homemade
- Archer Farms Nuts
- High quality coarse sea salt
- Line baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.
- Temper desired amount of chocolate. My favorite tempering method can be found over at The Kitchn.
- Pour chocolate on to prepared baking sheet and evenly spread around until chocolate is about 1/8" thick. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gather toppings. Sprinkle about as you please.
- Allow chocolate to harden completely at room temperature before cutting, at least 1 hour. Chop with a sharp knife. Store at room temperature lightly covered, or package as gifts.