- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 roma tomatos, diced*
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 qt. vegetable broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 c. whole grain rice blend**
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 c. flat leaf parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium and saute onion and garlic for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add carrots, celery, and tomatoes to dutch oven. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatos, bay leaves, paprika, cumin, chili powder, broth, rice, and chickpeas. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. (Soup will thicken as it cooks.)
- Taste and add spices as needed. Discard bay leaves. Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
*Tomatoes not in season? Use a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes instead of 15 oz.
**I use a mixture of short grain brown rice, pearl barley, and spelt berries found in the bulk section at Whole Foods.