“Do you like kin-oh-ah?” my mom asked the other day while on the phone. You mean keen-whaaa? I replied
snidely kindly. I confess, it’s hard to pronounce. I’m pretty sure I said it wrong the first 20 times. After giving her a hard time, I said, yes, I love it! And it’s nutty flavor. Did you know it’s one of the most complete proteins you could eat? “Well, I’m looking at a recipe that I think you’d like,” she replied. Moments later it was in my inbox. And days later it was in my belly. You could say it was love at first bite.
- 1 c. uncooked quinoa
- 2 c. vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 15 oz. can corn, drained
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, diced
- ½ c. red onion, diced
- zest of half a lime
- salt and pepper
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- ½ c. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp. white wine vingear
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ tbsp. honey
- Cook quinoa in broth according to package directions. Once cooked, drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine beans, corn, avocado, tomatoes and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until emulsified. Add dressing and zest to bean mixture and toss. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread quinoa on a large platter. Top with bean mixture. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve same day.
Recipe adapted from The Dallas Morning News.