- 1 stick butter (1/2 c.), salted
- 1 c. self rising flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1. c. buttermilk
- 1 1/2–2 c. blackberries (or other fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In an 8×8 inch baking dish, add butter and place in the oven until melted and slightly bubbling, not browned.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and sugar together. Whisk in the buttermilk. Batter should be pourable. If too thick, add 1 teaspoon of buttermilk at a time.
- Once the butter is melted, remove from the oven, and immediately pour in batter. Edges will begin to cook. Generously add the fruit. Return to oven, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Serve warm with ice cream.
• If you don’t have self rising flour laying around (I rarely do) just add a heaping teaspoon of baking powder and a dash of salt.