4 tbsp. (half a stick) unsalted butter, plus 1 tbsp. for cooking
1 c. white whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. pure cane sugar
2 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 large egg
2 tbsp. orange juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. whole milk
- Heat a cast iron griddle on medium-low heat and preheat oven to 250°F degrees.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- To the butter, whisk in the egg, orange juice, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in milk until evenly incorporated.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture. Quickly stir together with a fork. Small lumps will remain. Allow batter to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Before cooking, add a tiny bit of butter to the griddle to season. Using a 2 oz. spring release scoop (about 1/4 cup), add pancake batter to the griddle. The pancake is ready to flip once bubbles begin to appear on the surface. Flip and allow pancake to continue to cook. It will begin to balloon up in the center. Flip once more to flatten out pancake and continue cooking.
- Place pancakes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Keep warm in oven. Repeat, adding a tiny bit of butter to the griddle each time before cooking.
- Serve with pure maple syrup and toppings of choice.