This salad has a nice little tang to it. The mild flavor of the cucumber soaks up the dressing perfectly. This recipe easily doubles or triples for larger crowds.
- small clove of garlic (or half a large clove)
- half a lemon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- pinch of sea salt, cracked pepper, and sugar, to taste
- two large handfuls of spinach (or other lettuce of choice)
- half an english cucumber, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Finely mince garlic using a mortar and pestle or a microplane.
- In a small bowl, add remaining dressing ingredients. Whisk well to combine. Taste. Add additional salt, pepper, or sugar if necessary.
- Add salad fixings to plates. Top with dressing and freshly cracked pepper just before serving.
• The acidity of a lemon varies from lemon to lemon. If too acidic, add a bit more sugar to help soften the flavor.
• I’m partial to english cucumbers—the long, skinny, ripply ones you find this time of year. Their flavor is mild and their interior less seedy.