Sea Salt Honey Butter style
- 1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. warm water
- 1/2 tsp. yeast (dry)
- 1 1/2 c. bread flour
- 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. honey
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Add the warmed water to a small bowl. Pour in yeast and allow to proof and get puffy. Set aside. If you’re new to using yeast, check out this video.
- Add flours and salt together into a bowl of a standing mixer using the paddle attachment.
- To the melted butter, add honey. (Dip measuring utensil in the butter before measuring the honey. It’ll slide right out.)
- Add yeast and butter mixture to the flour and mix on medium-low speed until dough comes together. Add in a tablespoon of warm water at a time if necessary to bring dough together. Continue to mix for another 8 minutes to knead dough.
- Shape dough into a ball by pulling the sides of the dough down to the bottom. Place in a dutch oven and cover. Allow to rise for 4 hours.
- Punch dough down and knead for another minute or two. Shape again into a ball and place back in dutch oven.
- Cut a large X in the top of the dough. Sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake covered for about 20 minutes. Pull cover off and cook for another 10 minutes to brown.
- Serve warm.
Bread Flour makes a huge difference when making bread as it has higher amounts of gluten in it. It can be expensive though. The trick, buy it at Target. It’s usually half the price of what you find at Whole Foods.