- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
- 1 c. all-purpose unbleached flour, plus more for pan
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. orange oil or 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 bag (12 oz.) fresh cranberries, washed and dried
- 2 tbsp. turbinado, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour, or spray, a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, egg, milk, and orange oil. Add butter mixture to flour mixture, and stir until just combine. Gently fold in cranberries.
- Evenly pour batter into pan and sprinkle with turbinado. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover with foil after crust has browned.
- Allow bread to cool completely before serving. Store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
• Cut the amount of cranberries in half if you prefer a sweeter bread. I, however, loved the amount of tartness all the cranberries offered. It was just right for these taste buds!