This salad is fresh, zesty, and filling. Charred peppers and onions, guacamole, toasted tortilla strips—you might want seconds, which is OK because it’s a salad.
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. cilantro leaves, lightly packed
- 3 tbsp. lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. agave nectar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1–2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- a couple large handfuls of lettuce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- guacamole, prepared
- Mexican cheese of choice, optional
- Make dressing. In a blender or food processor, add ingredients and blend until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Store covered in fridge. Can be made ahead of time.
- Make salad. In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in peppers and onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- In the same skillet, toast tortillas until browned on both sides.
- Add lettuce to plates. Top with peppers and onions, tortilla strips, black beans, guacamole, and cheese.
- Top with dressing and serve.