- 1 3/4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 c. sugar
- hefty pinch of coarse salt
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. powdered sugar
- cocoa powder or shaved chocolate, for garnishing
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture through a sieve into a medium saucepan in order to get rid of any lumps. Whisk in milk until combined.
- Stir the mixture over medium heat until thickened. Add butter and stir until combined.
- Quickly whisk 1 tablespoon of the hot chocolate mixture into the beaten egg in order to temper, or cook, the egg. Return the mixture into the pan and continue to whisk until combined. Stir in the vanilla and cook until thickened, about 2 to 3 more minutes. If lumps remain, strain through a sieve. Pour the pudding into two pudding cups or mason jars. To prevent a skin from forming, press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding. Chill until serving.
- Whip the cream and powdered sugar together on high until soft peaks form. Top with a dollop. Lightly sprinkle cocoa powder or chocolate shavings to garnish.