- 1/2 loaf of thick, hearty whole wheat bread cut in large cubes (about 2 cups)
- small hand full of crushed pecans (about 1/3 c.)
- 3 c. of milk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. turbinado
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- zest of half an orange
- juice of half an orange
- dash of sea salt
- Prep the night before serving. Cut bread and place in an 11 x 7 baking dish. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, butter, turbinado, cinnamon, vanilla, zest, juice, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Pour mixture over bread. It should almost cover bread.
- Cover and let sit and soak overnight in fridge.
- Morning of, preheat oven to 425°. Sprinkle top with a pinch of turbinado. Bake for 30 minutes or until liquid is set. Cover with foil after 15 minutes to prevent burning.
- Enjoy with warmed 100% pure maple syrup.