This recipe is adapted from Marcella Hazan’s 3-ingredient pasta sauce and written for a new mom. Cook the sauce in three 10-minute intervals. Set a timer on your phone and walk away. Just walk away with your phone. After 30 minutes, a couple simple ingredients will somehow transform into the best pasta sauce of your life.
- 28 oz. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 small sweet onion, halved and peeled
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for pasta water
- 8 oz. wheat fusilli pasta
- fresh basil
- In a large sauce pan, add tomatoes, onions, butter, and salt. Cover and turn heat to medium-high. Set timer for 10 minutes and walk away.
- Once timer goes off, stir sauce and turn heat down to medium. Add water and a generous pinch of salt to a saucepan for pasta and turn to high heat. Set timer for 10 minutes and walk away.
- Once timer goes off, stir sauce. Add pasta to water. Set timer for 10 minutes and walk away.
- Once timer goes off, drain pasta. Discard the onion from the sauce. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree pasta sauce until no chunks remain.
- Add pasta to plates and top with sauce. Garnish with fresh basil and parmesan.