Any barista would gawk at this recipe as I heat the milk via the microwave, but it’s necessary to incorporate the Nutella into the milk. I should create a Nutella syrup, but for the one-off cup at home, this works just fine. More than fine if you ask me. As always, pick your level of saltiness. I like my lattes strong and not too sweet. If you’re going for the opposite, add more milk and simple syrup.
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 scant tbsp. Nutella
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla simple syrup (see below)
- a pinch kosher salt
- 2 oz. freshly brewed espresso
- In a microwave-safe cup, heat milk, Nutella, simple syrup, and kosher salt for 1 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway in between.
- Remove from microwave and froth to your liking. Add to freshly brewed espresso. Stir and serve. Sprinkle with cocoa powder if you wish.
• It’s hard to get a decent froth off the Nutella milk. So after incorporating it into the espresso, separately I froth a tiny bit of half and half and pour it on top. Some days call for pretty. Other days call for lattes ASAP.