- 10 oz. (1 1/4 c.) good quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 10 oz. (1 1/4 c.) good quality white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. peppermint candies, crushed
- Line a pan with a 12″x8″ piece of foil.
- Melt 3/4 of the dark chocolate over a double boiler or microwave on medium until just melted. Fold in the remaining chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Using a spatula, evenly spread a thin layer of chocolate close to the edge of the foil. Allow to harden at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Repeat with the white chocolate, layering on top of the dark chocolate, being sure to use a completely dry bowl to keep the chocolate from seizing.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint, lightly pressing into the chocolate. Allow to harden at room temperature, about 30 minutes. Break into pieces. Store covered in a container for up to 2 weeks or longer in the fridge or freezer.
• Skip the Starlight Peppermints and go for the regular or mini candy canes. They are much easier to crush. I place them in a freezer bag, fold over, and use a meat tenderizer to crush.
• For the chocolate, be sure to buy good quality. Chips are cheaper than bars unless you have a Trader Joe’s nearby. They sell dark chocolate by the pound. Make sure your white chocolate is the real deal, no partially hydrogenated stuff. I prefer Ghiradelli or Trader Joe’s.
• If you are using chocolate chips, no need to coarsely chop.