From start to finish, this dish comes together in a little over 30 minutes. If you’re a better planner than I, prep the dressing, cut the veggies, and marinate the chicken ahead of time. A little salt and olive oil goes a long way in this dish. But it’s the bright, tangy notes of the dressing that pulls it all together.
- Sun-dried Tomato Dressing
- 3 chicken tenders
- 2 broccoli stalks
- 4 carrots, peeled
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. brown jasmine rice, quick-cooking
- 2 c. water
- pat of butter
- fresh basil
- Make sun-dried tomato dressing or use store bought. Can be made 1 week in advance.
- Place chicken in a small dish. Salt liberally. Pour dressing (about 1/4 cup) over chicken and allow to marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature. Set aside. Can be done morning of and stored in fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before cooking.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Chop broccoli, carrots, and onion. Place on baking sheet. Drizzle liberally with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly charred. Stir halfway if you wish.
- Into a small sauce pan, add rice, water, and pat of butter. Add a liberal pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn to medium. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until water is no longer visible. Remove from heat. Keep covered and set aside for another 10 minutes. Rice will continue to steam in pot.
- Just before serving, make chicken. Heat a cast iron skillet on high. Once hot, add chicken. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160 degrees. Allow to rest a couple minutes before slicing. Chiffonade basil.
- Serve. Add rice to bowls. Top with roasted veggies, sliced chicken, additional dressing, basil, and feta.
• Cooking times for rice varies based on variety. I use a quick-cooking jasmine brown rice from Trader Joe’s. I’ve based the cooking method off this variety.
• Roasted veggies keep well in the fridge. I often roast a big pan to add to my lunches for the week.
• To reheat rice, add rice plus a little water to a sauce pan. Cover and cook on medium heat until warmed through and water is nearly dissolved.