On nights my mom made chili, it was my job to make the cornbread. 1 box of Jiffy, 1 egg, and a bit of milk. I like my cornbread sweet because of it. I can’t have it any other way. If you close you eyes, you might think you’re biting into an original Jiffy Cornbread muffin. This recipe comes together nearly as fast as the box. You’ll most likely beat the oven preheat time. If serving a crowd, double or triple the recipe.
2/3 c. all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 c. finely ground cornmeal, non GMO
scant 1/4 c. pure cane sugar
1 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. whole milk
2 tbsp. oil, mild tasting
1 large egg
1 tbsp. salted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F degrees. Line muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients. In a separate small bowl, stir together wet ingredients until evenly combined.
- Add the wet mixture into the dry and stir together until just combined, no more.
- Evenly scoop batter into muffin tins.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Brush butter over muffin tops. Serve warm.
• Adapted from Chow.