Dessert is an afterthought for us during winter. By afterthought I mean—we think about it once it’s too late to make anything. It’s never forgotten. We usually ditch our always-at-the-ready ice cream until the weather warms, unless Talenti is on sale. In that case, we just turn up the heat. Lately though, I’ve been filling my little ice cream bowl with granola and dark chocolate chunks just before bed. I know something’s good when Kev follows suit. (He’s been following suit).
With Christmas in the air and varieties of bark on store shelves, I decided to turn this pantry dessert into its own variety. It’s easy, healthy, and you probably have everything on hand. But in case you don’t, head to Target because allll the ingredients are on sale when you use Cartwheel (more on that below). Pssst: Kev said Talenti is on sale too. Our freezer may or may not be full.
A couple things you may not know about me. #1 I’m just like every other woman out there. I LOVE Target (with a passion). #2 I HATE to buy anything full price. (I also hate to cut coupons. I’m much too unorganized for this money saving technique.) This love/hate relationship has now been resolved with Target’s Cartwheel app, my newest obsession.
Here’s how it works:
1. Download the app. 2. Create an account.
3. Scroll through offers and/or scan products you already buy from Target.
4. Add offers one at a time to your “Cartwheel” list. (You’ll get 10 spots when you begin, and can earn more, like the first time you use Cartwheel at the store.)
5. Go to Target and pick up the things on your list, then show the cashier your digital barcode at the checkout.
6. With one scan, all your savings come off your bill. Easy as that.
I like to think of this as a healthy(er) dessert or edible gift. Use this recipe as a guide. Amounts and ingredients will vary per person. Follow your heart and dig through your pantry or head to Target. Just be sure to properly temper your chocolate.