- 1 large russet potato
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 c. plain low-fat or fat-free greek yogurt
- 1/4 c. half and half or milk
- 1/2 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. green onions, chopped
- sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Clean potato. Using a fork, poke holes around the potato. To a pyrex or microwave-safe dish, add about 1″ of water. Place potato in dish and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in microwave for 8-12 minutes (depending on size of potato) or until soft to touch.
- Roughly mash entire potato and add remaining ingredients. Carefully stir until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Vigorously whip the potatoes for about a minute or until smooth and creamy. Small lumps will remain. Add milk one tablespoon at a time if potatoes are too dry. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
• If you’re not into microwaves, bake potato wrapped in foil at 400 degrees for about an hour or until soft.
• Try purple (mashed) potatoes if you get the chance. They make for a colorful plate and taste the same.
• This recipe is also delicious as a twice baked potato. Cut potato in half, and carefully remove potato from skin. Follow recipe. Add potatoes back into the skin and top with cheese of choice. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned.