- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1/4 c. dried cranberries, finely chopped OR 1 tsp. rosemary, finely chopped
- coarse sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low, slowly adding in the flour mixture as well as the orange zest and cranberries OR rosemary until just combined.
- Divide dough in two. Place on individual sheets of plastic wrap. Roll into logs, about 10 inches long. Place in freezer for 5 minutes to firm up. Remove and roll logs in coarse sugar until coated. Return to freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat. Using a sharp knife, slice dough into 1/4? cookies (or slightly thicker). Bake for 12–15 minutes or until edges just start to golden.
- Allow cookies to cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Leftover dough can be stored in freezer. Slice with a sharp knife and bake frozen, adding 2-5 minutes to the baking time.