- 2 c. hulled strawberries
- 2 c. half and half
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 1/4 c. sugar
- dash of sea salt, plus some
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Place strawberries in bowl and cover with 1/4 cup of sugar. Allow to sit for 10 minutes while the sugar breaks down the strawberries.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine half and half, whole milk, heavy cream, 1 cup of sugar (reserve about 2 tablespoons of sugar for the yolks), and salt. Whisk to combine. Give it a little taste to make sure you have enough salt. And then add a little more. An extra dash of salt makes this recipe all the better!
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Over medium-high heat, heat milk mixture until sugar dissolves and begins to simmer. Slowly pour about one cup of the simmering milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to temper the eggs (a.k.a. cook the eggs without scrambling them). Add egg mixture to sauce pan, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Turn heat off. Add vanilla extract. Pour mixture in a large bowl.
- Mash strawberries and add to ice cream mixture.
- Cover and place in fridge to cool, about 3 hours. To speed up the cooling process, place bowl in an ice bath in the fridge, or place in the freezer sans ice bath.
- Once mixture is cold, make ice cream according to your machine’s instructions.