The summer before starting college, I learned to drink my coffee black. Bitter, deep, and smoky. Without a trace of sweetness.
This was a new development for my sugar craving palette.
Which quickly began to manifest itself in my choice of chocolate. The milk chocolate coating on the candy bars of my youth was replaced by a craving for dark chocolate.
A craving for something deeper, richer, and darker than I had tasted before. For tastes of bitterness that were borderline too bitter to tolerate. But that contrasted beautifully sweetness, making it all the more sweet. I imagine that’s what maturity tastes like.
This chocolate ice cream is dark, creamy, and rich. It’s a great base for a multitude of combinations. I’m thinking it needs a salted caramel drizzle. What would you put on top?
- 2 c. half and half
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 c. + 2 tbsp. sugar
- hefty dash of sea salt
- 1/2 c. unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 3/4 c. dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, combine half and half, whole milk, heavy cream, 1 cup of sugar, and salt. Whisk to combine. Give it a little taste to make sure you have enough salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together well the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Over medium-high heat, heat milk mixture until sugar dissolves and begins to simmer. Stir in cocoa powder and chopped chocolate until combined. Bring back to simmer.
- Slowly pour about one cup of the simmering milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly to temper the eggs (a.k.a. cook the eggs without scrambling them). Add egg mixture to saucepan, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture in a large bowl over a fine mesh sieve to catch any egg clumps Cover and let cool to room temperature. Place in fridge for about 3 hours. To speed up the cooling process, place bowl in an ice bath in the fridge, or place in the freezer sans ice bath until chilled.
- Once mixture is cold, make ice cream according to your machine’s instructions. I use this ice cream maker.