I’ve been holding out on you for a couple months. Keeping a secret. Jumping in my chair. Looking like a crazy lady, I’m sure. Making mini gold cakes. With pom-poms on top. For who you ask? Styled Magazine [insert exclamation point]—created and edited by Victoria, from A Subtle Revelry. I’m still not sure how I made it into these beautiful pages filled with genius ideas and impeccably styled photography. Pinching myself.
For the full rundown on how to make these extravagantly cute mini cakes, head on over to pg. 30. Pom-pom DIY included. And sometime this month, be sure to celebrate—whether it’s something seemingly insignificant or something wildly monumental. Just celebrate.
Gold sprinkles and pom-poms help.
- Make the cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set out ingredients and bring to room temperature. Melt butter and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Add dry ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add liquid ingredients, including the butter, to a medium container with a secure lid. Shake well.
- Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, combining thoroughly.
- Prepare two 9-inch square cake pans by lining bottom with parchment paper. Skip spraying the sides.
- Equally divide batter between the pans and bake for 25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely. Run a thin metal spatula or knife around the edge of the cake to release. Carefully remove from pan.
- Make frosting. Beat together butter, cream, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl until smooth.
- Slowly add confectioners sugar and beat until incorporated and smooth. Increase mixer speed and beat until light and fluffy. (Optional: for added flavor, add a teaspoon of almond extract or orange zest.)
- Assemble. If necessary, level the cakes. Using a 2 1/4? biscuit cutter, cut out 20 circles, 10 from each cake.
- Place 10 of the cake rounds on an inverted baking sheet. Add a thin-medium layer of icing to the top of each cake, spreading just to the edge. Place the second layer of cake on top. Dirty ice each cake by applying a very thin layer of icing to seal in the crumbs. Place in the refrigerator until cold, at least 30 minutes. Ice each cake by applying a medium amount of icing around the cake. Smooth with an offset spatula. Return to refrigerator for 4 hrs or overnight.
- In a small flat baking dish, pour in a handful of the gold pearlized sugar. Roll each cake in the sugar until well coated. Place each cake on a coaster. Refrigerate until serving. Place a pom-pom in the center of each individual cake and serve at room temperature. Let the celebration begin!